The Fish House | 50 Goodwin Terrace, BURLEIGH HEADS QLD 4220

Given it was the other travel bunnie’s first ever Father's Day we decided (and by we I mean Minibun George and I) that we would need to do something special to celebrate. We had already planned to take a trip to the coast for the weekend and given my mother had claimed Minibun George as her own for the night I decided on trying the new sister restaurant of one of our favourites (Hellenika) which had opened at Burleigh Heads.

Owned by Simon Gloftis, The Fish House has attracted enormous media attention and raving food critiques. I made a reservation for 6pm at The Fish House and as evidence of this two-chefs-hat restaurant’s popularity, I was messaged two times in the day leading up to our Saturday evening booking to confirm the reservation. The Fish House is set just off Burleigh beach on Goodwin street and to be honest the views from inside at night are not the highlight given the relative darkness of the surrounding area. But I have to say things only got better from there. Upon entering, I was immediately taken by the cozy ambience of the room with the beautifully laid out dining room being highlighted with flickering candles, huge glass windows, dark polished floors and splashes of stone and art on each of the walls. Just like at Hellenika, the staff were warm, friendly and extremely informative. We were seated at a little table for two at the front corner of the restaurant and we wasted no time in ordering a bottle of sparking water (no alcohol for this mumma) and two of the Menus of the day (Chef’s selection served in a banquet style) ($75pp). The seven courses of delicious food seemed to flow effortless onto our table (and then into our tummies) throughout our 1.5 hours at the restaurant. We started with four freshly shucked oysters from Ceduna which truly where beyond fresh together with the Daily Raw Selection of kingfish, salmon and scallops which simply melted in my mouth. Let's just say that the freshly baked table bread was resting in a bed of olive oil for a little while as neither of us could take our eyes off the fish. Next, the oh-so-moorish and beautifully warming Simple Lemony Fish Soup came out with Pan seared Scallops w' Spring Onion (Canada). Now, scallops are a favourite of mine and I have to say that these little morsels were some of the tastiest I have tried anywhere. Next thankfully we were given small breather with a light pallet cleanser before we were again presented with a large serving of Fried School Prawns (NSW) and the Crustacean Risotto (QLD). At this stage the other travel bunnie was almost ready to give up (and only 6 courses in) but somehow he managed to finished the deep fired school prawns (I can vouch that there was not a little head left on the plate) and we both managed to finish the seriously comforting risotto (which given how difficult any good risotto is, I was taken by how well the Crustacean stock really shone through the dish).  Finally, we shared our 7th course being the Petuna Ocean Trout from Macquarie Harbour dressed with olive oil, lemon and mustard and served with sides of baked potato gratin, greens and fresh garden salad. The fish, just like everything else was cooked to perfection with the only downside being that I found 2 bones in my side of the fillet.

As if I somehow found control of my second stomach, I convinced the other travel bunnie to let me order a Classic Crème Brûlée ($14) and it, just like that my almost perfect dinner, was amazing (oh wait, this was a Father's Day treat for the other travel bunnie …).

Staying true to Simon's Greek heritage, he has kept every dish simple, using quality olive oil and lemon, yet this simplicity brings out the best in the seafood offered here. So I think I have run out of superlatives and can only sum up our experience as fantastic (other than a minor hiccup with the bones I found).

Get out and check this place out (and then check out Hellenika the next day)!

Total Bunnie Dollars Spent: $173.50

















The Fish House on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment