Himalayan Cafe, 640 Brunswick Street, NEW FARM QLD 4005

Thursday night. Late. Late being six-thirty, when I came out of the office, where more than a third of my daily life is spent.

I called the other travel bunnie and declared that I refuse to cook, that I was in the mood for being adventurous.

We've tried Tibetan food once and that night ended with us rushing for the toilet. Unpleasant.

I wanted to give it another chance and suggested that we should try the Himalayan Cafe. We turned up without a booking, that was a bad move. Little did I know that this place is very popular among the Brisbanites and the restaurant was fully booked for the night.

We stood outside of the restaurant, trying to search for another option on Urbanspoon. A waitress came out and told us that someone had called to postpone their reservation. Sweet.

This Nepalese restaurant has been established in New Farm for more than a decade and its decoration of Buddhist prayer flags, photos of the Dalai Lama and various religious statues offers a mysterious touch. Through the red wooden doors, you step into a different world. A world that is so far away from the bustling city life.

The extensive menu was almost overwhelming for me. Food was served in no time and my chicken dish was a winner, however the lamb dish that the other travel bunnie had was slightly bland. At almost $8, I thought the banana lassi was slightly overpriced considering it was pre-made.

The overall experience was good, although we can't see it being a regular affair for us. I thought the smell of incense was too strong, but it does add a touch of exoticness.

PS. this is a BYO restaurant. Did someone say great value?

Total Bunnie Dollars Spent: $47.50










Himalayan Cafe on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment